Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oleander freeze burn leaves?

Can I prune back my 3 feet tall orleander? I planted two outside in the ground last fall, and now after this winter the leaves are all dead and drooping. Can they be saved? I live in zone 8.

Oleander freeze burn leaves?
Absolutely oleander can be cut back, but don't do so until the new growth starts coming out. Some of the branches with dead leaves may still be alive and may put on new leaves in the spring. (Soon in your area.) I know it's messy to look at now, but waiting will insure that you cut out only the dead branches.
Reply:Yes, they will recover. If it were me, I'd wait until spring to see what is alive and doing well.





By the way, in one of the neighborhoods near us a neighbor cuts theirs 1/2 down EVERY year and the plants are bushy and beautiful. Loaded with flowers. I love driving down that street each summer just to see the oleander.


No comments:

Post a Comment