Saturday, November 14, 2009

Has anyone read WHITE OLEANDER? What did you think about it?

i loved it, but i want other's opinions.

Has anyone read WHITE OLEANDER? What did you think about it?
So funny. I just finished this book 2 days ago. It is now on my top 10 list. It's very hard to explain how I feel about this book. Some of my reactions while reading were:


1) To go out and immediatly foster a teenager.


2) To research composers and plays and the arts.


3) To read as many books or classics as I can. I feel a little dumb not knowing any of the authors and composers and poets stated in the book.


4) To go to an art museum.


Ok, so that out of the way. I'm really torn between feeling sorry for Ingrid and hating her guts. There are some parts of me that feel that she is so lost in this world and others that think maybe her free-spirited lifestyle is pure genius. To go where you want, when you want. Most of todays society cannot do that. Ummm, Astrid. Oh sweet Astrid - I wonder how much of her personality is her own and how much of it was molded by her mother. She's so needy yet "I don't let anyone touch me". She never let anyone in even in the times so got close. As much as she loved and adored Olivia and Claire she never really let them in to her world. When she actually found a friendship with Yvonne it was still very restrained. And then with Paul, she never told him her true feelings on Berlin and California, her mother and the trial. I thought at the end, "you're finally free now Astrid, go and do what you want." And it seems she can't - she is following Paul. The only thing that is hers is her past and she relives it with her suitcases. She's torn between her mother and Paul. I don't think she will ever do what she wants to do with her life. It will always be about someone else's choices.


Well, I could go on and talk about this book forever. Take care!
Reply:I really enjoyed the book. It was disturbing at times and heartbreaking at others, but I really liked it.

flowers funeral

No comments:

Post a Comment