Saturday, November 14, 2009

What happens if you eat oleander?

Like the kind that grows in the middle of the freeway.

What happens if you eat oleander?
Effects of poisoning





Oleandrin, one of the toxins present in OleanderReactions to this plant are as follows. Ingestion can cause both gastrointestinal and cardiac effects. The gastrointestinal effects can consist of nausea and vomiting, excess salivation, abdominal pain, diarrhoea that may or may not contain blood, and especially in horses, colic (Inchem 2005). Cardiac reactions consist of irregular heart rate, sometimes characterized by a racing heart at first that then slows to below normal further along in the reaction. The heart may also beat erratically with no sign of a specific rhythm. Extremities may become pale and cold due to poor or irregular circulation (Goetz 1998). Reactions to poisonings form this plant can also affect the central nervous system. These symptoms can include drowsiness, tremors or shaking of the muscles, seizures, collapse, and even coma that can lead to death (Goetz 1998). Oleander sap can cause skin irritations, severe eye inflammation and irritation, and allergy reactions characterized by dermatitis (Goetz 1998).





Medical treatment required


Poisoning and reactions to Oleander plants are evident quickly, requiring immediate medical care in suspected or known poisonings of both humans and animals (Goetz 1998). Induced vomiting and gastric lavage are protective measures to reduce absorption of the toxic compounds. Charcoal may also be administered to help absorb any remaining toxins (Inchem 2005). Further medical attention may be required and will depend on the severity of the poisoning and symptoms.





Drying of plant materials does not eliminate the toxins. It is also hazardous for animals such as sheep, horses, cattle, and other grazing animals, with as little as 100 g being enough to kill an adult horse (Knight 1999). Plant clippings are especially dangerous to horses, as they are sweet. Symptoms of a poisoned horse include severe diarrhoea and abnormal heartbeat. There are a wide range of toxins and secondary compounds within Oleander, and care should be taken around this plant due to its toxic nature. Different names for Oleander are used around the world in different locations (see top of page), so when encountering a plant by any of these names care and caution should be used. Many of Oleander's relatives have similar leaves and also contain toxic compounds.
Reply:google it, lots of info there. it is poisonous!
Reply:A hearty 6oz. helping of oleander will kill a human, A 1/4 bushel will kill a horse, and all oleanders will kill. There is no problem in trimming them, but you don't want to get the juice on your skin and rub your eyes! Horses are the most in danger of oleander poisoning because they will eat them without knowing they are poisonous.
Reply:Only if you are suicidal and don't mind a ghastly death.
Reply:Nerium oleander has beautiful flowers and is a very tough hardy plant. there are dwarf forms and the traditional sized bush that grows a couple of metres.





For these reasons, it is planted in the middle and surrounds of freeways.





The oleander contains the toxic glycoside oleandrin. The latter can be considered a cardiac glycoside and is very similar to those found in •foxglove• (Digitalis) and •pheasant's eye• (Adonis vernalis





The characteristic poisoning symptoms are as follows: nausea, vomiting, accelerated or retarded heartbeat, and cardiac arrest.





so basically you will die from a heart attack
Reply:(-: I guess you die. There's a whole movie about it called White Oleander where the mother poisons her lover with the plant.





Not recommended.
Reply:You could die. If even use the branches to cook hot dogs, the people eating the hot dogs would die. That actually happened a few years ago at a National Park.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment