Friday, November 18, 2011

Oleander-prune-Northern Cal-When?

I live in USDA weather zone 8b-9a (san Francisco northern bay area).


I have many large, mature Oleanders that are important as screening on my property and I want to care for them properly!


Different sources say Pruning should be done around February OTHERS say October.


I would prefer October while the soil is dry (not as slippery, muddy, etc) but am fearful that any winter freezes would harm new buds. I am NOT concered with flowering.


Thanks, Frank

Oleander-prune-Northern Cal-When?
Hi Frank, they should be done after flowering, so in fall is the best time. If you do get frosts that do damage then trim off the damaged wood in the spring, after they've started into growth, April/May, and they'll be OK. If the are large and have been in situ for a decent length of time it'll take a lot to do them much damage.
Reply:I live in Louisiana and if I were going to prune my oleanders, it would be in the late fall, after they've bloomed. Be careful, as you may know, all parts of the Oleander are extremely poisonous. Never burn the trimmings either. Smoke becomes toxic and can irritate lungs.

fruit baskets

No comments:

Post a Comment